Football Update

Football+Update

Tim Sullivan, Reporter

Quarterback Jayden scrambling out of the pocket
Running back Christian running through the defense
Grove City Christian Football Team

The 2019 season for the GCCS football team is underway. Many members fill the field including 11 freshmen, 3 sophomores, 8 juniors, and 3 seniors. Coaches for the team include Hank Patterson, Pat Sergio, Mike Patterson, Mike Vernon, Bob Burrell, Anthony Johns, Mack Brunney, and Noah Whittaker. The team is led by quarterback, Jayden, and running back, Christian, on offense as well as linebacker, Joey, on defense. Captains for the team are Joey, Christian, and Josiah.

I sat down and asked Joey a few questions about this season. Joey is a senior on this year’s team. Joey said the main goals for the team were to make the playoffs, scoring points on both sides of the ball, and win more than five games. “I want to break the school record in tackling and earn an all-state honor”, he said when asked about his personal goals. Outside of football, Joey is the senior class president and an honor roll student. He plans to attend Ohio State University and major in Pre-Med next year.

The Eagles have played three games so far this year. The first game was against Middletown Christian with a 40-6 loss. Christian returned a kickoff for the Eagles only score. A 41-7 loss was seen in the Eagles’ second game against Tuscawaras Central Catholic. Jayden threw a pass to Jake for the only score of the game. The third game included a win for Grove City Christian. The Eagles beat Jefferson Township 21-12 with two defensive touchdowns scored by Josiah and Joey. Both were interceptions ran back to the endzone. A ten-yard touchdown pass from Jayden to Brayden secured the win.

The upcoming schedule for the Eagles is:

September 20 – @ Worthington Christian

September 27 – Fisher Catholic

October 4 – Fairfield Christian*

October 11 – @ Ridgedale

October 18 – Newbery

October 25 – Hillcrest

November 1 – @ Berne Union

*Homecoming Game