Busy, Busy is the Marching Band!

Faith Williams

Faith Williams, Editor

During Teays Valley OMEA competition

The Grove City Christian Marching Band has been hard at work this season! October is a very busy month for the Marching Band, and they have had a very successful season thus far. On October 12th, they attended the OMEA competition at Teays Valley High School. The night was long and very cold, but our band persevered and came through on top! They left that evening with every award in their class, including: best auxillary, best percussion, best drum major, and 1st place in class C!

Rebecca giving the salute prior to performing
Band representatives standing proud with their trophies during awards
Seniors & Drum Major, Rebecca, pose with their trophies

The following week, on Wednesday, the 16th, they attended and marched in the annual Pumpkin Show Parade. For more information regarding this event, please see the highlight video above!

Later that week, GCCS hosted their annual Pink Out at the football game! The color guard, who typically wear red roses as hairpieces in their show, supported the cause for breast cancer awareness with pink ones this particular Friday.

Guard poses for a picture before the halftime show!

Color Guard was very excited to wear pink roses!

The next weekend, Friday the 25th, GCCS showcased some of their fall athletes on the field! This was an emotional day for some, as the senior football players, cheerleader, and marching band walked the field with their families in recognition.

Our marching band was represented well during Senior Night, with a total of eight Seniors! Ranging from their second to fifth year in marching band, our students have enjoyed their time in the program no matter how long. It was a wonderful night celebrating all of their achievements.

Neal C. Lauron Zaria smiles with her family!
Neal C. Lauron Gaby with her parents & siblings
Neal C. Lauron Ben and family
Neal C. Lauron Jay with his Mom & Dad
Neal C. Lauron Austin & parents!
Neal C. Lauron Lily, proudly escorted by her Mom & Dad!
Neal C. Lauron Damaris with parents and siblings
Neal C. Lauron Faith yelling “I love you band!” with parents at her side

The next day, Saturday, October 26th, the band took on their final OMEA (Ohio Music Education Association) competition at Turpin High School in Cinncinati, Ohio. They performed in the cold, rainy weather at 3:45 that afternoon, and left the field after a great show. Awards were held later that evening, and the band took home 4 trophies that night! Awards received include the following: Best Auxillary, Best Percussion, 1st place in Class C, and Reserve Grand Champions! Reserve Grand Champions is an outstanding award that signifies the 2nd best overall band of the competition, not just in their respective class. This means that our GCC Marching Band superseded bands even larger than themselves!

Along with these awards, the band qualified for OMEA Finals. This is an exemplary achievement for the marching band program; qualifying for States requires an overall score of a ‘1’ from at least one OMEA competition. Receiving a ‘1’ means that our band performed at a satisfactory level.

Our Marching Band has worked tirelessly throughout the past 4 months to improve their marching abilities alongside their show, “Danzón.” Their scores have demonstrated this improvement throughout the season, increasing with each competition. Marching Band is something that requires great dedication and effort, and our marchers resemble these qualities well.

Following these great accomplishments, our Marching Band will compete in MSBA (Mid-State Band Association) Finals on Saturday, November 9th. This competition takes place at Simon Kenton High School in Kentucky. They will perform at 11:45 am, competing against 29 other bands for a spot in the top ten! There is no doubt that our Eagles have a great chance to reach and exceed number ten, and that the program will continue to soar! Go Eagles!

*The newspaper staff would like to thank Neal Lauron for the use of his pictures from Senior Night