Marching Into Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marching Into Success

Faith Williams, Editor

The Marching Band has worked hard all season in preparation for the Mid-State Band Association (MSBA) Finals. This year, MSBA finals were held in Independence, Kentucky at Simon Kenton High School. 27 bands competed in this competition that lasted all day Saturday, November 9th. The weather was cold for the majority of the day, but our marchers persevered through the elements and put on an incredible show! After receiving various awards throughout the season, including best percussion, auxillary, and drum major, the Marching Band was well equipped to take on this challenge against 26 other bands in their class.

The Marching Band took the field at 11:15 that morning, and put on a fantastic show. Afterwards, it was a long day of supporting other bands in their class. The first awards ceremony was held at 5:15 in the evening, after an eager wait for every band to perform. The GCC Marching Eagles placed 4th in the preliminary awards, sealing their spot in the top ten and the chance at a second performance.

After preliminary awards, the Marching Band prepared for their second performance of the day. The competition was definitely high, but they showed up and truly stole the show during those 10 minutes on the field. Their final competition performance of the season truly was their best one yet! Afterwards, everyone warmed up from the cold, put props & instruments away, and headed back to the stadium to await final awards at 10pm. With one point separating the 3rd and 4th place bands, our Marching Eagles surpassed their previous placement in prelims and achieved third place overall! This is truly an exemplary achievement for our Marching Band program, and sets the bar very high for the seasons to come. Our students were very excited to come back home with the third place trophy and to rest assured that their hard work has indeed paid off. Through God’s provision, the Marching Band overcame some tough obstacles throughout the season, producing even better leadership, community, and dedication. It is all to the glory of God that they were able to do all they did this season, and they are very thankful for the way the Lord continuously provided!

Color Guard before the first performance of the day

Entire Marching Band alongside their instructors after final awards

The Seniors with Mr. Claassen

Finalist award signifying placement in the top ten

School spirit rock painted in celebration of the band’s success

Seniors and Drum Major, Rebecca, waiting to be called for awards

Finalist award and 3rd place trophy outside Mr. Claassen’s room