Teacher Spotlight — Mrs. Heather Snyder

Faith Williams, Editor

Q: What’s your favorite hobby?

A: I have a few-reading, hiking, and singing.

Q: Where did you go to college?

A: I graduated from The University of Rio Grande, but I also graduated from Shawnee University with an Associate’s degree.

Q: What do you enjoy about teaching english?

A: Since I absolutely love reading, I love sharing that excitement with students and I love discussing plots, characters, authors’ motives, themes, connections, etc.

Q: What brought you to GCCS?

A: really believe God brought me to GCCS. I was teaching middle school and kept thinking I wanted to either go back to school to be able to teach at the college level, or at least teach high school students.  I can’t imagine ever going back to teaching middle school again, I love high schoolers!

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about your family?
A: I have been married to my college sweetheart for 25 years.  I watched him play baseball for many years and then softball and now as a coach for our son’s team.  He loves the game, and I do too:)  Our daughter just turned 21 and is an Interior Design major a Columbus College of Art and Design.  It took her a couple of tries, but she is finally enjoying her career path and is incredibly good at it.  Our son is 14 and headed to high school this fall.  He loves to play baseball and has big dreams of one day playing in the major leagues.  He definitely has the ability to do so. He is a great student and loves the idea of majoring in Freshwater Ecology if the baseball thing doesn’t work out.  He enjoys fishing and has numerous fish tanks in his room.

Q: Where is your favorite place to be?

A: I think my favorite place to be changes quite often.  Sometimes it is in the swing on the porch with a good book and a glass of sweet tea.  Other times it is on a hike with my family enjoying nature.  I also love to go on the boat with my husband (and a good book) and just breathe.  I can’t forget my beach view either, I can definitely see myself retiring in a beach cottage overlooking the dunes and the ocean. I guess as long as I have my family and a good book, I’m pretty content though:)

Q: What’s your favorite thing to do?

A: This is a loaded question, again it often depends on the day!  Similar to my hobbies are reading, hiking, and singing (I love music), but I also enjoy baking in the kitchen, planting flowers, walks on the beach, collecting shells, visiting family, concerts and movie days with my daughter, ping pong and whiffle ball with my son, fishing trips and date nights with my husband, life is good.

Q: What’s your favorite food?

A: Dark chocolate or cheese, it depends on my mood:)

Q: If you weren’t teaching, what would be your job?

A: Opening for: Insert Christian Artist or band name here________ 🙂  Or reading a good book in my beach cottage, possibly writing one.

Mrs. Heather Snyder, GCC English teacher.
Mrs. Snyder [pictured right] alongside the 2019-2020 High School Student Council.
Mrs. Snyder in action during a class mock trial.
Mrs. Snyder with 2020 graduate Faith Williams.