The Benefits of MAP Testing

Trenton Timlin, Reporter

Not everyone likes the Measures of Academic Progress Test. It takes a long time, it makes you think a lot, and it makes your brain wear out. In case you couldn’t tell, I’m talking about the MAP Test. It turns out though that we don’t do this test for no reason. According to ileadonline.org, the MAP Test gives us students “a more accurate picture of the skills we are ready to start developing.” This is why the MAP Test gets easier or harder depending on how well we answer questions on it. It wants to see what skills we are ready to learn, and what skills we have already mastered. NWEA, which is the company that created the MAP, says that  MAP growth is “the most trusted and innovative assessment for measuring achievement and growth in K-12 math, reading, language usage, and science.” Students who take the test probably won’t want to admit this as true, but the fact that this test is used in several states really shows how much teachers appreciate this test. I was able to have a quick conversation with Mrs. Jeffries about the MAP Test. Mrs. Jeffries described it as a test that, “helps us determine what a student is ready to learn next.” It also “helps us know how much a student has grown as a learner.”