Cross Country Update

Sydney King, Editor

Saturday, October 6th, our school hosted the second annual Brian K. Davis cross country meet and 5K Run/Walk. A lot of effort and heavy preparation from our coaches, student athletes, athletic heads, and volunteers made this event possible. The weather was sunny and clear, perfect for running. The cross country races were co-ed due to the number of competitors. First, the middle school ran followed by the high school shortly thereafter. Later, at 11 a.m. the “We Get To” Run for a Reason 5K Run/Walk began.

GCCS did not have any middle school participants. For the middle school boys, Mitch Green from Waverly City won first place with a time of 11:09. Coming in second was Maddox Bock, also from Waverly, with a time of 12:25. In third place, a mere 2 seconds later comes Kyle Adair from Tree of Life. Finishing first for the middle school girls was Kiley Wray from Madison Christian, having a time of 13:21. The first race was a great success!

The high school race was intense and full of competition. Sarah Crabtree from Waverly won first place for the girls, running 3.1 miles in 21:57. Waverly’s Aidan Judd won the boy’s race with a finishing time of 16:24. Grove City Christian’s athletes showed perseverance and a willing spirit. Senior Will Mayhew came in first for our boys, setting a personal record of 19:20. He came in 12th place. Next was freshman Dylan King. Even with a broken wrist, he finished in 26th place in 23:28. Finally, junior Michael Flowers 32nd with an astounding time of 25:29. Way to go boys!

The junior girls certainly did not disappoint. Our strongest runner, junior Rachel Mitchell, has continued to demonstrate her talent throughout this season. She finished 5th place in 23:47. Coming in shortly was Maddy Bliss in 10th place, earning a personal record for the season of 25:30. In 12th place was Sydney King, also with a season personal record of 26:14. 14th place was earned by Hannah Allen, who sprinted across the finish line in 28:54. Maggie Isner completed the race nearly thirty seconds later, coming in 15th place. Natalie Bankey finished 20th place in 32:00. The girls did amazing.

Overall, the Brian K. Davis meet was a great success. All athletes showed excellence and pushed through their struggles. This is what cross country is about. It is about giving your all, regardless of everything else.

The night before, the team’s only senior, Will Mayhew, was recognized for his accomplishments at senior night. He was escorted by his parents and congratulated by head coach Mindy Bankey, and athletic director Matt Blandin.

Saturday, October 13th, the team participated in the Mid-State League meet at Berne Union High School. Will Mayhew and Davey Calffey received 2nd team medals for their run. AJ Gillespie, Dylan King, and Colton Sisler received an honorable mention. The girls had a strong race as well. With only the District meet remaining, the 2018 fall cross country season is coming to a close. This season has shown a lot of improvement from all runners.

Will Mayhew being escorted by his parents
Rachel Mitchell making her way to this finish!
Watching their teammates finish
Natalie Bankey

At the starting line
Will Mayhew
Will Mayhew being congratulated by head coach Mindy Bankey
Natalie Bankey

Warming up
Michael Flowers

Dylan King
Maggie Isner
Hannah Allen
Sydney King